I pattern tested Itch to Stitch’s latest release the Envigado Vest. This is an anorak style vest with lots of details and an optional hood.
It makes for a great transitional layering piece as we head into Spring. I wear mine around the house a lot when I get cold or need more pockets!
As with most ITS patterns this one is cup sized. Yay! I made a straight DD with no adjustments but it has princess seams if you need to customize fit. The pattern doesn’t use much fabric but you do need a fair amount of hardware. I had a Closet Case Patterns Kelly Anorak hardware kit in my stash and I used that for my snaps, grommets and and drawstring endcaps. I love hardware kits. 🙂
Itch to Stitch’s latest release is the Danube Jean Skirt. It’s a great basic skirt with side slits. The instructions for the zipper insertion in this pattern are top notch! I pattern tested and here is my skirt with no modifications. I used a midweight denim.
These side slits are awesome! It looks slim from the front but was so easy to sit down or climb stairs wearing this skirt. Way better than a back slit!
Gretchen Hirsch’s new indie pattern line Charm Patterns by Gertie has launched! I was a pattern tester for her Lamour Dress back in June and now I can finally post about it! The Lamour Dress is a Shaheen inspired fit and flare dress with a 3/4 circle skirt and several wearing options for the straps. The best part is that it’s cup sized up to DD and it actually fits your boobs! I tried making Butterick 6019, which goes up to a D cup and getting the bodice to fit was a nightmare. The sizing on this pattern is so much better!
I really love this dress! I’m wearing it with a crinoline so the skirt has more poof than if you go without!
Since it’s a Gertie pattern it’s got a lot of vintage details like spiral steel boning and a waist stay. This isn’t a pattern for a new sewist, but if you’ve made a dress or two you can definitely make this dress. The pattern has excellent instructions! The most tedious part of making the dress was cutting out all the fabric. The bodice has 3 layers (outer fabric, under lining, lining) and lots of bodice pieces! But once that’s done it’s actually pretty quick to make the dress. Gertie’s method for doing a narrow hem makes the usually painful task of hemming a circle skirt relatively quick and easy!
For my fabric I used this anchor embroidered checked gingham taffeta that I bought in Joann eons ago! it’s perfect for this dress! The dress is lined with a red cotton and underlined with muslin. My wedges were meant for this outfit! They have little sailboats and anchors on them. 🙂
Gretchen ended up making only one change to the final pattern – changing the neckline on the larger cup sizes to be a little lower. I liked the neckline as it is as my longline bra has very full coverage cups. So something to be aware of if you make this pattern.
So what do you think? Is this pattern going on your wish list? Gertie also has the peasant style Rita top in her Charm Patterns line! I bought this pattern on Kickstarter and I’m eager to make that too.
Closet Case Patterns has just released their new Spring pattern – Kalle Shirt + Shirtdress which means I can post my tester version! Yay! This pattern started off life as a fabulous white linen shirt dress that Heather posted on Instagram last Summer. Besides the shirtdress, the Kalle pattern includes a tunic and a crop top.
I made a crop top for my tester version. This is definitely outside of my comfort zone in terms of wardrobe, but I had just enough Kaufman Union chambray leftover from another project to make one so I went for it. Side Note: did you notice that the sample for the tunic version is the same fabric??
This version has a covered button placket, which I’ve never sewn before but it went to together quick and easy! I originally though to wear this with a fuller skirt or high waisted pants but I didn’t like how it looked with either! Luckily I tried it with one of my Magic Pencil skirts and loved the look. I think I also need to make a pair of high waisted shorts to try this with.
Heather let me know that she made two changes to the final pattern based on tester feedback:
– Reduced neckline size by about 2″. The collar now sits much closer to the neck.
– Made sleeve wider on upper sizes. (I’m glad this was done as you can see the sleeves are a little tight on me)
I can’t wait for my new pattern to arrive. I’ve got some black and white buffalo check shirting that’s been waiting to be made into a tunic! You can order the pattern here in paper or pdf or pick it up at your local retailer.
Note: As a pattern tester I receive a free copy of this pattern.