Itch to Stitch has just released the new Oia Dress. This is a more advanced pattern that has features like a full lining, princess seams, and an invisible zipper. It’s on sale for launch week!
I sewed my Oia dress using a cotton double cloth shirting that I bought from the Pendleton Mill outlet years ago! I used the reverse side for the straps and waistband. I’m not in love with the muted colors of this fabric, which is why it’s sat in my stash for so long. I’m think of over-dyeing it with blue or navy. What do you think?
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
I pattern tested the latest from Itch to Stitch the Sequoia Shorts and Pants. These were designed with hiking in mind which is definitely something I need in my wardrobe! I went with making the shorts, which meant I had to shave my legs for the first time in a loooong time but it was well worth it!
You can’t see it but the waistband is partially ribbing with elastic in the middle which is comfortable but secure with no need for a belt. There’s not even belt loops in the pattern! I made a muslin before making these in cotton twill from Joann. I’m glad I did because I desperately needed a fully tummy adjustment. Looking at these pics I should have done a little more in my adjustment but they feel pretty good. I also straightened out the legs on shorts.
The pants version has cargo pockets and roll up straps too. I’m hoping this fabric will stretch a little with wear as they are a smidge too tight and kind of stiff. If I make again I will probably opt for a stretch fabric, but overall this is a great pattern! I love all the pockets.
This pattern is 20% off for one week (until 1/31/18) so grab it for less during the launch sale at https://itch-to-stitch.com/product/sequoia-cargos-shorts-digital-sewing-pattern-pdf/. No coupon needed.
It’s finally Fall in Portland! When I left for a business trip to Texas last week it was still warm and sunny and when I got back it was cool and rainy! At least I can finally wear my Kelly Anorak! This is the latest pattern from Closet Case Files and I was a pattern tester. So my version may have a few differences from the final pattern.
This was my first time sewing a jacket and Heather made it easy! Definitely having made button down shirts before like a Grainline Archer will help. The hardest part was probably figuring out the plackets and the zippers. I was in hurry to get this done so I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have and ended up ripping things out a few times. Oopsie. Luckily this a nice sturdy fabric!
Speaking of which, I got this Organic Cotton Ripstop from Fabric.com. It was $8/yd and its’ 60″ so very economical for a project where you need a bit of fabric. It was lovely to work with too! I decided to go for some red accents so I used red snaps from Snap Source, which I got at Mill End Store. I also got a red zipper and cord, but red grommets are hard to find! So I bought silver grommets and painted them with nail polish. We’ll see how well they hold up!
I made one deviation from that pattern and that was to line my hood. I don’t mind the interior being unlined, but I wanted my hood seams to be covered. This was pretty easy to do using the hood pattern and the hood facing to draw a new hood lining piece.
The pattern instructions call for a bit of hand sewing but I am far too lazy for that. So I did a lot of stitch in the ditch sewing
The biggest issue I had with the pattern is that the placement of the drawstring is too high for me. If you are bigger busted, you may run into this too! Since I had put the grommet in before discovering this I had a big whole to cover up. I put some iron on interfacing from the back and then I sewed on a rectangle to cover the hole. I made it bigger so it looked more intentional. Hopefully no one guesses why that’s there!
I love the details on this jacket like the back vent and the felled seams. I did mine by serging and topstitching.
I’m nearly done with sewing these Simplicity 1696 pants, but I’m having fit issues with the rear rise. My favorite part so far is these slash pockets!
I might not be done with sewing these pants but Magi seems to like them just fine.