In March, I found some viscose poplin leopard print on Blackbird Fabrics and ordered 3 meters. Then I did nothing for a long, long time. About a week and a half before Frocktails I decided I should start sewing. I am technically out of the size range of the Sierra jumpsuit but once I did an FBA I figured it would mostly fit, and the top did! But the bottom was a hot mess and needed a full tummy adjustment and I ain’t got time for that shit.
So it was on to the Zadie! This is definitely THE PATTERN this summer. I’ve seen so many on all different people and they look great! It also looked pretty fast and easy to make since it only has a tie closure. The only adjustments I made on mine was to slim the legs – A LOT. I think I took at least 5″ out.
This was definitely a big hit with the crowd at Frocktails and I got lots of compliments. Mine is definitely in a drapier fabric than most ones I’ve seen. Plus leopard is freaking amazing, AMIRITE?
I spotted two other ladies in Zadies – both in the popular linen variant so we took a photo together.
I have some leopard print knit too and I’m thinking of making a Sirocco romper. Can you have too many leopard print jumpsuits?
Itch to Stitch has released the Samara Pants. This are a quick sew with no pockets and an invisible zipper. I took 6 inches off the length of mine to make them more cropped. In a linen blend they are super cool and comfy for the hot weather we’ve been getting. The pattern is on sale for $8 for launch week!
I used a linen rayon blend fabric from Joann. For the first time I tried the method of prewashing on hot and drying on hot to help minimize sharp wrinkles. However, I forgot the step of pressing with a hot iron to lock in the sizing. I think it still worked pretty well. The do wrinkle but the wrinkles are pretty soft!
The pattern has back darts for a little booty shaping. In a future version I plan to omit the darts and do elastic in the back waistband so I can eliminate the darts. I also want to add some pockets! I will probably put a back patch pocket on these pants, but I plan to add some slash pockets in my next version.
Itch to Stitch released their latest pattern the Melrose Dress. It’s on sale this week for the launch! This is a versatile spring/summer pattern that includes the dress that I made plus a tunic and cropped top.
My dress is sewn in a viscose poplin that I picked up from Blackbird Fabrics last year. This was very nice to work with and will feel great as a summer dress.
The trickiest part of this dress is probably the neckline binding but I got mine to lay perfectly flat in one go! I highly recommend getting some Washaway Wonder tape for making this pattern. It will come in super hand for the neckband, cuffs, and waistband casing.
Chalk and Notch released an updated version of their popular Fringe Dress & Blouse and I was excited to pattern test it! This new version extends the size range to 24 and add A/B and C/D cup options! The pattern is on sale for $11.50 for the relaunch.
Since it’s a loose fitting design it’s also pretty forgiving for even larger busted ladies. I make a G/H in Cashmerette but the C/D worked fine for me.
My blouse was sewn using a rayon crepe fabric I bought at Joann. This is definitely a fiddly fabric to cut, but the crepe texture is also very forgiving.
I did not include the belt ties and only made a half hearted effort at pattern matching but I’m loving this a spring blouse. One thing to note is that despite staystitching, my neckline did stretch out, which resulted in a low v-neck. To make this top work appropriate I have to wear a cami under it.
It’s very nice to see Chalk & Notch extending their sizes. I hope they do the Joy Jacket next as I already own it and I don’t want to have to do an FBA. 🙂